Thursday, October 19

How God Used Homeschool to Prepare Me For Life

Just another day in geography (and geology, and natural science) class.






“I only have one request. Do something fun with your inheritance. Don’t spend it all on groceries.”
So Mrs. Zeller bought a motorcycle.
Imagine a middle-aged woman in flannel zipping up a rock-smattered road in the mountains of Colorado, with one grinning barefoot seven-year-old clinging to her back. Parking her metal horse at a house of alpine wood, she wades through chickens, corgis, and children to the kitchen – which her husband built – and breathes in fresh bread – which her husband threw together, no recipe. The younger children, barn chores done, stream to set the table with goat’s milk, goat’s cottage cheese, and venison. With breakfast they had fed on the Word of God, and now lunch involves a seminar on lawn mower safety for the boy’s new business. The boys are eleven and twelve. After lunch the family scatters - the children to help each other with school, the father to write tomorrow’s sermon, the mother to a million tasks which form the unseen roots of a great and fruitful tree.
When our family first met the Zellers, we could not understand what made them so perfect. The role models of homeschool, they lived out their faith. The siblings – all thirteen of them – actually treated each other as friends. They climbed mountains, built chapels, ground grain – in other words, lived. If the entire government had collapsed, I doubt they would have lost five minutes’ sleep. Mr. Zeller somehow served as a faithful pastor, a personal father, a romantic husband, and an enthusiastic teacher simultaneously. And as for Mrs. Zeller, ‘a wife of noble character’ was her biography.
She inspired my mother; he supported my father. The children befriended my siblings. What did they do for me? Well, they brought me to Christ. Now, credit where it’s due: my mother’s faith and love affected me first, and she alone walked me through the sinner’s prayer. But Noelle Zeller, then my one best friend in all the world, invited me to the Bible study where Jesus woke me up. I wanted to be like Noelle. She read the Bible and loved her siblings, showed me kindness and taught me important morals, such as, “Don’t say holy cow. God is holy, and he’s not a cow.”
When compared to her mother, Noelle faded into a paper doll. One evening at Bible study Mrs. Zeller told us the secret to her exceptional marriage. Once, she had prayed, “I am terrible at this. I’ve been engaged twice and I’m done. God, please just pick a husband for me. Let there be no romantic feelings involved.” Mere weeks later, a friend casually told her he thought she would make a great wife, and would she kindly consider it? After months of the Holy Spirit’s prodding, she agreed and married a man she was not in love with. But the rest is history; now their weekly date night is a given, and everyone agrees they are ‘a match made in heaven.’ Their story impacted me greatly. From today on, let Christ be the center of every marriage, and the Holy Spirit the instigator. Let virtue conquer romance and godliness conquer affection.
Although my family sometimes idealized the Zellers, we also caught glimpses of their flaws– a harsh word here, a disobedience there; they were human. But back then we saw so much of the Spirit’s work in their lives, and so little in ours. My parents sacrificed mountains, and did more for their children than I will ever know. But the fruits of their labor took years to emerge, while the fruits of the Zellers’ righteousness already drooped full and ripe. Sometimes the Zellers did seem perfect.
One time my mother could not help herself. She had to ask. “How do you do it?” Mrs. Zeller laughed. She replied with the name of her daughter, “Grace; pure grace.”
What more need be said? After all we had learned from their family, they were not the role models. They were only an arrow pointing to the true Model, the Perfect, the Giver of pure grace. To him I look; I follow his arrows. One day, Lord willing, I will be an arrow to the Living God for my husband, my children, and their children. With rough-cut homeschool, unblemished grace, and a pinch of faith, we will move mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment